We get this question a lot! While there are many variables to consider, every situation is unique. Still, generally speaking, there are three main types of bed bug treatments:
- Heat Treatments
- Liquid Chemical Treatments
- Tent Fumigation Treatments
At Convectex, we know heat is the best way to kill bed bugs, but we are not the only ones that say so. Top experts agree and recommend heat treatments as the best way to kill bed bugs.
Here a few examples:
The Center For Disease Control (CDC) recommends heat. According to a study conducted in 2011, the CDC determined heat the best treatment for bed bugs for two primary reasons:
- A potential illness to humans from excessive pesticide use
- The development of pesticide-resistance bed bugs that require the use of excessive pesticides
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends heat as part of an Integrated Pest Management Plan. Like the CDC, EPA recognizes the challenges of pesticide resistance in bed bugs and recommends that heat treatments be used as an alternative to pesticides or in conjunction with chemicals in a comprehensive treatment strategy.
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) recommends heat to kill bed bugs. In a 2018 study, NPMA found that bed bugs were not able to develop a resistance to heat like they do with pesticides.
A study by the Department of Entomology at Virginia Tech recommends bed bug heat treatments and says, "Insecticides alone can rarely eliminate a bed bug infestation." They say, "...the most effective new technologies for bed bug control have been the development of heating systems capable of superheating infested rooms to kill all the bed bugs."
Here are additional positive benefits of using heat to treat bed bugs:
- Environmentally Friendly
- High Success Rates
- Immediate Single Treatment Elimination
- Can be Used to Target Single Room Outbreaks
- Non-toxic - Chemical Free
- No Odors
- No Resistance
- Kills all Stages of Bed Bugs, Including Eggs
- Penetrates wall cavities, mattresses, and other hard-to-reach areas
- Limited Discarding of Items
- Minimum Time Away
- Minimum Preparation
- Safe for People and Pets Immediately After Treatment
- Sanitizes and Disinfects
- DIY Rental Options in Some States
Check out the industry-leading Bed Bug Heater Packages from Convectex.